Everyone knows that Fourth of July means amazing fireworks shows, but what many do not recognize is the rich history that surrounds the light shows that they see. Fireworks and their many variations have been in existence for centuries. Since that time, fireworks have evolved into the amazing light displays that all around the world have come to associate with celebration. Enjoy these other interesting facts about fireworks, and have a happy and safe Fourth of July!
- Fireworks date as far back as the 7th century, beginning in China.
- Early fireworks were created with only three ingredients: saltpeter, Sulphur, and charcoal.
- Italians were actually the culprits behind fireworks having their distinct colors, as well as the first aerial shells.
- Fireworks in the United States have been going on since at least the original celebration of Independence in July of 1777.
- The Philippines holds the record for the largest fireworks display as of 2016, having set off 810,904 shells in just over an hour. That’s almost 225 shells released every second!